Overview – 60 KW Solar Power Plant
SunShell powers have always been dedicated to providing the best quality products suitable according to their client’s requirements. This site was no different. Upon careful inspection of the Ghoksadanga college‘s place, it was determined that a 60 KW grid-connected solar power plant would be enough to meet the client’s needs. SunShell supplied all the major components and implemented the installation after careful inspection, and commissioned the solar plant.
The 60KW solar power plant was also deemed to have the facility of net metering. Net metering is a billing process in which the net meters continuously sample the amount of electricity generated by the solar panels and the amount of electricity consumed by the users. Whenever the energy generated by the solar power system exceeds the users’ consumption, this excess amount of electricity is exported to the grid, which may earn a feed-in tariff for this exported solar electricity. In other words, the users only have to pay for the “net” energy usage. Therefore, This billing method credits solar customers against their electricity consumption, lowering their monthly bills.
Further, shifting to solar power from traditional non-renewable energy sources also benefits the planet by saving it from harmful carbon dioxide emissions. A solar rooftop power plant of this size can save up to 5 tons of CO2 every month, which eventually reduces the carbon footprint left behind by us. With the gaining popularity of solar power as a fruitful alternative, it will also encourage students to opt for a sustainable future.
The 60kWp solar rooftop power plant is grid-connected with a net metering facility. It has 182 Numbers of 72 cells 330Wp made of polycrystalline solar panels. The inverter used is an ABB model of 60kWp. The durability of the structure is essential. Hence SunShell Powers used a hot-dip Galvanised double-tier structure with the capability to withstand 200kMph wind speed. To make it water splash proof, dust, and vermin proof, an Array Junction Box (AJB) of IP65 rated, protected with 1000V 40kA DC SPD and 1000V 15A PV string fuses was used in the system. It also protects the structure against any surge from both the DC and AC sides. An ACDB is also equipped in the system where the AC side is protected against suitable rated MCB and MCCBs. AC 4P Y configured SPDs are provided inside ACDBs to protect the system from any external surge coming from the grid side.
Further, to protect the system against lightning strikes, Lightning arresters are installed at suitable locations after a well-calculated and correctly maintained distance. Dedicated parallel-connected earth pits are provided for the LAs to maintain the lowest earth resistance. For the safety of the whole system, a total of 8 units of high-quality, low-resistance earth pits are provided in compliance with the latest IS standard. The output of the solar power plant is terminated at the mains LT bus bar at a 415V voltage level.
Standing at the precipice of the impending doom of global warming and climate change, it is imperative to think about the environmental impact while selecting the products we use in our daily lives. Solar energy is proven as a fruitful alternative to traditional electricity. With the benefits of reducing carbon footprint while consuming the same amount of electricity and the added benefit of net metering, which helps in cost-cutting, more and more educational institutions are now shifting to renewable solar energy. This is not only a smart investment, but it also encourages young minds to make educated choices.
- Solar PV Modules: 182 Numbers of 72 cells 330Wp polycrystalline solar panel
- Inverter: ABB 60kWp
- MMS: Hot-dip Galvanised double tier structure with capability to withstand 200kMph wind Speed
- Plant type: Grid-connected
- Net metering system: yes
- Array Junction Box: IP65 rated. Water splash proof, dust and vermin proof. Protected with 1000V 40kA DC SPD and 1000V 15A PV string fuses.
- ACDB: AC side is protected against suitable rated MCB and MCCBs. AC 4P Y configured SPDs are provided inside ACDBs to protect the system from any external surge coming from the grid side.
- Lightning Arrestors: Lightning arresters are installed at suitable locations and well-calculated and correctly maintained distances to protect the system against lightning strikes. Dedicated parallel-connected earth pits are provided for the LAs to maintain the lowest earth resistance.
- Earthing protection: For the safety of the whole system total of 8 nos high-quality, low-resistance earth pits are provided in compliance with the latest IS standard.
- Net metering: yes
- Termination: At 415 V LT side.
The system is protected against any surge from both DC and AC sides. On the PV side, the IP65 Array Junction box is provided.